Friday, February 25, 2011

Comforting Tortellini soup

Instead of making my own pasta or even think of making it, I quickly ran to the super market and got a packet of frozen tortellini. A quick soup with dash of all veggies in my fridge took care of the dinner time! I have never tried a soupy tortellini. I always saute it with veggies or eat it with arabiatta sauce. If you are tired and want to spend minimum time in your kitchen with less pressure on "after-cooking" clean up then it's a perfect one-pot recipe (should I say one-pan??)- very comforting with nice flavors and a healthy way to finish your day. Read on....



Ingredients-

1 big cup mixed assortment of veggies (I used mushrooms, beans, shallots, peas, carrots, zucchini)
1 bay leaf (how cannot I use this when I have a food blog titled Flavors??)
5-6 cups of Vegetable broth
1 onion (medium sized) chopped
salt according to taste
1/2 cup crushed canned tomatoes
Frozen tortellini (used spinach and ricotta filled tortellini)
1 tsp dried basil
fresh parsley for garnishing
black pepper to taste
Olive oil to cook
3-4 crushed garlic cloves (I can't cook without my star ingredient)

Preparation-

Heat olive oil in a pot/pan. Saute onions, garlic and other veggies over medium flame (for about 8 min). Add broth, bay leaf, basil, tomatoes and salt to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil over high flame. Mix the tortellini and cook on a low flame for 5-6 minutes. Allow it to simmer well before adding pepper. Toss in the parsley for garnishing. Enjoy!


14 comments:

  1. Your bowl is making me really hungry :) Great recipe n pics!!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, thats a filling and hearty soup,delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks so good and hearty. along with all of those veggies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That almost looks like a white rose or gardenia floating on the soup - great click!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first click is awesome suchi made me wonder if a flower was floating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup is definitely making me hungry! I love tortellini soups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love some tortellini soup for the lunch! Looks homey and flavoursome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the sort of perfect meal for my busy weeknights. Also, with tortellini being something that the whole family likes it would be a family pleaser. Nicely done! I'll have to be sure to make a bit extra so I can enjoy it the next day for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving such a nice comment. It's nice to hear about someone who can relate to my situation. I wish you luck in your venture to find a job as well. And I'm glad you posted this awesome soup recipe too. I have a thing for soups. Looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing wrong with taking shortcuts, especially you can come up with a delicious and healthy one pot meal like this. Your soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now this is sumptuous....flagging for my lazy hours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, I like it! This might be a dumb question but, do you just get it from a regular grocery store? I'm not very versed in the realm of frozen pastas. If the weather gets colder here in So Cal, I'd like to make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Hester - you should get it from regular grocery store! Try the frozen food section- it's such a comforting soup to make. Hope you find and make it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...